Links and Information for Tree Owners

Home/Links and Information for Tree Owners
Links and Information for Tree Owners 2022-06-24T14:30:30+00:00


You may have seen our advice sheet regarding tree ownership through your lettings agent, estate agent or property management company. This webpage provides further information, as well as some links which we found very informative.

What are my responsibilities as a tree owner?

All trees growing on land that you own are your responsibility (unless you lease that land to a third party and the lease specifically passes that responsibility on to the lessee), even if the trees are covered by a Tree Preservation Order or are within a Conservation Area. Your duty of care extends to neighbours and users of adjacent land, as well as those on your own land.

To satisfy your duty of care, you must be able to demonstrate that you have suitable and sufficient systems and procedures in place to ensure that tree-related risks are identified and controlled; in almost every case, this will include having your trees regularly inspected by a suitably qualified and experienced professional.

How can Advanced Arboriculture help?

Having inspected trees for landowners for many years (including every school run by Devon County Council plus many other private landowners) we are certainly suitably qualified and experienced to inspect trees on properties of all sizes, from a single tree in a small garden to an estate of hundreds of acres. As for how often “regularly” is? That will depend on your trees’ species, existing condition and their location; trees in secluded locations will typically require less frequent inspections than those next to a busy road, for example.

Contact us for a no-obligation discussion and we can advise you on the most appropriate inspection type and frequency to ensure that your legal responsibilities are being fulfilled.

Useful links:

Aviva Risk Management Solutions Information Sheet, Liability for Hazardous Trees:

Quantified Tree Risk Assessment Note:

You may also be able to find more information from your local council: